Spinach & Pepper Crustless Quiche
Sulfur’s reputation as a source of foul odors is undeserved. Sulfur can smell like rotten eggs, yes, but in the body it’s a vital natural element. Along with calcium and phosphorous, sulfur is the most common mineral in the human body. Sulfur helps us build proteins, regulate gene expression and metabolize toxins. Sulfur is also essential for creating glutathione — an important antioxidant that reduces inflammation and prevents cell damage from oxidation. Sulfur is present in many foods, especially eggs, nuts and legumes. Sulfur-rich eggs are the main ingredient in my Spinach and Pepper Crustless Quiche, which also has a healthy dose of colorful veggies. Enjoy it any time of day with a slice of avocado on sourdough toast.
Preparation time: One hour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 9 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or oat milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions, peppers and spices for 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the spinach and cook with salt until it’s wilted and the liquid evaporates, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a medium glass baking dish, 7×9 or 6×8, add the remaining olive oil and grease the pan. Spread spinach mixture evenly on the bottom.
- In a medium bowl add the eggs and milk. Whisk until fully blended. Pour over the spinach mixture. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until slightly browned on top and fully cooked. You will notice when you jiggle the pan the eggs are firm like a custard. If they are liquid to the touch in the middle, continue to cook until firm.
Looking for other easy, healthy recipes from Mint Nutrition? Start here, and be sure to follow Mint Nutrition on Instagram for continued recipes, tips, and insight.
As a certified integrative and functional dietitian, it’s my job to come up with tasty, healthy recipes and meal plans for individuals (neat, I know). To learn more about how my recipes and meals can best serve you and your specific needs, schedule a 15-minute consultation with Mint Nutrition today.